AmeriCorps Visitor Services Corpsmember
The AmeriCorps Visitor Services Corpsmember (ages 18-25) will work with conservation professionals in the U.S Fish & Wildlife Service and dedicated volunteers to provide relevant meaningful public education (interpretive) programs and media for visitors to Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge, in addition to answering visitor questions and supporting refuge volunteers. Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge staff provide guidance in order to fulfill the refuge mission of “promoting the health and well-being of migratory birds and their habitat.” The service activities will be completed under the guidance of the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge.
Term dates and schedule:
- Term: January 16, 2020 – December 10, 2020
- Schedule: Monday-Friday, 40 hours per week, 8:00am – 4:30pm (typical)
Stipend and award:
- Monthly stipend: $1690
- Education award: $6095 upon successful completion of term
Location: Housing is not provided by the Corps. Member must secure their own housing near service location.
- Zimmerman, MN
- Positive attitude and strong commitment to service and community work.
- Experience working with the public in outdoor and customer service settings.
- Strong written and oral communication skills as well as strong organizational and word processing skills.
- Experience with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher) desired.
- Experience communicating and working with a wide variety of ages.
- Relevant coursework in environmental education, English, journalism, public relations, communications, biology or related field of study and/or equivalent professional experience.
- Previous experience or education with natural resource management or social media is not required; 15-20% of the service term is dedicated to technical and personal-skills training.
- 18-25 years old.
- Must be a US Citizen, US National or Lawful Permanent Resident Alien of the US.
- Must pass the National Sex Offender Public Registry and criminal history check. “Pass” is defined as no positive hits on the NSOPR and no history of violent offenses on the criminal history check.
- Full term of service must be completed in order to receive the education award.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and safe driving record (no major moving violations or DUI’s in the past five years).
- Monthly stipend
- Education award upon successful completion of term
- Skills training and job experience
- Health insurance
- Student loan forbearance during service term
This program is available to all, without regard to disability, race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation or political affiliation. The Conservation Corps engages AmeriCorps members, ages 18-25, as defined under the American Conservation and Youth Service Corps Act, a subtitle of the National and Community Service Act of 1990. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request.
Deadline: October 25, 2019
Apply online: http://www.conservationcorps.org/apply
Questions? Contact Hollis Emery,
email@example.com or 651-209-9900 x23