Marshfield Clinic Health System AmeriCorps Volunteer Wisconsin
AmeriCorps, often referred to as a domestic Peace Corps, places individuals within communities to spend a year of their life serving others. Marshfield Clinic Center for Community Outreach is a national service grantee that places individuals with afterschool host sites across Northwestern, WI.
MCHS AmeriCorps Volunteer Wisconsin ~ Program Description: This program places individuals with nonprofit organizations across Wisconsin to build and strengthen volunteer programs. Individuals will receive focused training in volunteer management then assist with such tasks as: recruiting, training and supervising volunteers; creating volunteer handbooks, application forms, and brochures; writing position descriptions; updating website content and coordinating social media; and other (non-volunteer) tasks specific to the mission of the nonprofit.
This posting is an offer of a shared placement with Friends of Willow River and Kinnickinnic State Parks, Inc (The Friends) and the St. Croix River Association (SCRA). This full time placement will be half-time with The Friends and half-time with the SCRA.
The Friends is a nonprofit organization that supports the parks in fulfilling their mission to park visitors in a variety of ways including providing a nature center experience and presenting educational programming to park visitors.
SCRA is the official nonprofit partner of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, a unit of the National Park Service, with a mission to protect, restore and celebrate the Riverway and its greater watershed.
Friends of Willow River and Kinnickinnic State Park
During a typical day of service as volunteer development coordinator the AmeriCorps member will work closely with the lead naturalist and will develop the volunteer base by:
- Preparing recruitment materials
- Presenting to local groups, organizations and clubs, as well as volunteer and outreach fairs
- Managing the existing volunteer base
- Being present in the nature center to greet visitors and promote opportunities
- Providing volunteer training
- Connecting volunteers with current needs and upcoming events
- Providing support for various programs and special events
St. Croix River Association
The AmeriCorps member will report to the River Connections Steward to engage, recruit and oversee new volunteers, as well as support the development of an organization-wide volunteer program by:
- Updating the current volunteer manual;
- Communicating volunteer opportunities to current volunteers and the greater public;
- Assisting with the training of established and new volunteers;
- Overseeing current, new and one time volunteers;
- Working with staff to strategically recruit volunteers for specific volunteer needs;
- Tracking and improving systems around tracking volunteer metrics;
- Supporting volunteer driven programming at SCRA, such as education and outreach.
Period of Service:
Monday, September 11, 2018 – August 31, 2019. (End date is negotiable)
- $528.15 (gross before taxes) bi-weekly payroll for term of service
- Health & Dental Insurance – option to enroll with premium paid in full for member only
- Childcare assistance (if qualified)
- $5,920 education award upon successful completion of the term of service
- Forbearance on qualified student loans and interest accrual payments while serving. (taxable)
- Service gear
- Work Experience and the development of highly sought job skills (initiative, interpersonal and intercultural communication, adaptability, collaboration and accountability)
Required Orientation & Training (expenses covered):
- September 11 - 14, 2018
- January 2-4, 2019
What it means to serve in AmeriCorps
Applicants must be willing to serve for the duration of the term of service (1700 hours minimum), averaging approximately 35-40 hours a week. Members must also be able to handle the financial commitment made by accepting the position. Applicants must be 19 years of age by September 11, 2018, possess a high school diploma or GED/HSED, and agree to and pass a criminal and Department of Motor Vehicles background checks.
How do I apply? - The application for AmeriCorps placement with Friends of Willow River and Kinnickinnic State Parks, Inc, is available at WillowKinniFriends.org